Thứ Hai, 10 tháng 10, 2011

WHERE HAVE ALL MY MATES GONE ? poems by THEPHONG / trnaslated from the Vietnamese by DAM XUAN CAN

What is left, my dear
The city is old and familiar, but my eyes are new and I am amazed
I'm still a stranger to other people in our city
The sky looks gloomy, the rain is sadly murmuring in a void free from human
voices
I'm walking behind you in silence
These days are as sad as the somber sky
What is left, my dear
I'm walking away. saying goodbye to all that
This part of the world does not accept a freedom loving soul like mine
I've not seen my mates anywhere since yesterday
They h've left the sidewalks to fade away in darkness

Who are they ?
Yes, a friend
A girl sweetheard
A hand's touch
A kiss being exchanged
All sinks into the unfathomable past
The color of love-green-turns into the color of despair-brown
Who cares about fine weather when there is no friend to talk to ?

I'm standing, mute as the straight standing trees
Which spear could pierce the sky which sheds blood over the pines trees ?
Those who are still around are not real humans
They're wearing raincoats with revolvers inside
I'm so sad I cannot utter a word...

This Sunday afternoon I come into the familiar cafe
It is almost empty, the mini-skirted girl is always behind the cash
register
It is still like the old days : we two great each other with the eyes
And the waiter can rightly guess what a regular guest will order
Chamber music sounds are wounding my heart
Looking around, I sadly realize my mates have all gone

Autumn rain is falling over the mist filled walleys
I have been so long as mute as an object
All of a sudden I laugh to wake up myself
There are just a few words I want to say : " I miss you!"
Nothing is left, nothing remains, my dear !

Saigon, October 28, 1963


TROUBLE OF MIND

I'm troubled when you are by my side
It's a good thing - then I don't feel any sadness
I feel as young as an eighteen year old boy
When I look at myself in your bright eyes
You're off today, I 'm alone in this highland
Evrything is mute, not a sound is heard, my soul is following you
I only hope there will be moments you think of me
I known, I know, you're just a plain girl
But I cannot put you out of my mind

Late noon, the car moves up the slope
I'm standing here, feeling so miserably unhappy
You've gone, what will the future hold for us
When you're with me I forget all, all, all
I forget the wretched land which is ours
I forget all, all, all !...

It is raining
it's raining hard and strong
I'm sleeping soundly
O my girl !
now that you're over nineteen .

Saigon 1963.

THÊPHONG
( from UPLIPTING POEMS,
Dai Nam Van Hien Books, Saigon 1974)

0 Nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét

Đăng ký Đăng Nhận xét [Atom]

<< Trang chủ